Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The personal blogger.

Being a personal blogger is hard. That's not a whine, it's just a fact. I'm not just saying this for myself; others feel the burn too. I don't think it's because of any lack of subject or popularity, but rather that when you blog about your life, it isn't like blogging about some of the latest news. It's....well, personal. You don't like what's going on in the world right now? Okay, fine. You don't like the way I live my life? That's...a little harder to take in.



 It's not easy to be open about your life. To me, I'm not doing this for anyone but myself (no really! I mean it!) and that's a lot harder than doing things for others. Or at least, I think so, and so does this blogger:

"You are brave, you know that? You dare to believe that you have something to offer. You are a linedancer, balancing your personal life and your honesty, your shyness with your spunk, your self doubt with your confidence."

And sometimes, when it comes to confidence, you have to fake it till you make it. You've got to say the opposite of how you feel until it finally makes sense and feels true. Sometimes you've got to realize you have every right to express how you feel in public and show off who you are. Being a personal blogger is as much about showing people your life as it is self-expression. It's all up to you how things go. This is your own show and you're not obligated to perform for yourself or the audience. It's your choice all the way. 

But what about being interesting enough and gaining popularity? I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be noticed and liked. I want those things too. You don't have to feel bad because these people are what keeps you going. You don't have to feel bad for disregarding their opinions. As far as being interesting goes, it's not an obligation either. Interesting is an opinion. What you do for others might not always be well-received and that's alright. You still are in control here. Do what you think is important. 

And of course, I would hope even if you don't enjoy much blogging that you take to heart these ideas. We sometimes forget that we might be handling something fragile when we make comments, and is it really so satisfying to hurt someone emotionally? 

And I guess that's as serious as I'll let myself be today. 

2 comments:

  1. I get what you're saying. It gets discouraging to blog sometimes, especially when you can't find things to say that interest many of the people that come visit your blog, then (eventually) leave (like for example, I know I could write about Justin Bieber, One Direction or other things but those subjects don't interest me at all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. When I blog I feel like I am putting my whole life out there. If my hits drop after I have written about something sometimes I worry that my life is just not as interesting as I thought it was.

    ReplyDelete